I have tried for years to educate people on the do's and don'ts in adoption verbage. I know that most people are not out to hurt anyone's feelings and if it were just me it wouldn't be a real issue, but it's not just me, my children often must hear these comments.
Several of my friends have also built their families through adoption and Christianne has addressed this quite well in her post "Real Parents" I'm grateful for her perspective and I know how much her blog is read so I'm grateful for the education she is spreading. Please take time to read this post.
I would like to add that my kids are not defined by their adoption - they are not "adopted daughter" or "adopted son" or "adopted child" they make have come to our family by adoption but it is not who they are.
Also, my children's birthfamilies did not give up or give away their children, they chose to place them with a family or they made an adoption plan. These children are not throw away kids and they are not unwanted by their birthfamilies. To imply such can be damaging for such a little person.
I so appreciate all of the support we have received in building our family through adoption and I am certainly not saying that adoption is not something we want to talk about. It is not a secret, it is not shameful, it's a beautiful way to create a family, and I'm thankful to a loving Father in Heaven for bringing my wonderful children into my home and entrusting them to my care. I'm thinking that that feeling is not any different than anyone who had Him bless them with children in their home that came to them through birth.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
A Bit of Truth
Posted by irvy at 1:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment